Quantcast
Chanel Fashion, News & Trends

La Chanelphile

September 29, 2011

Luxury Online Sales Boosted by Fashion Bloggers & Social Media

Reuters has reported that new research indicates that fashion bloggers will help propel online sales to over $15 billion (€11 billion) by 2015.  Italian luxury foundation Altagamma stated in its “Digital Luxury Experience” report that online luxury sales only account for 2.6 percent of the market but is growing at a rate of 20%.  Moreover, “[b]logs and social media are setting trends more than fashion critics, with one out of two customers turning to Facebook or Twitter for advice before buying.”  I’ve always had a feeling about the power of social media but now we have some actual figures to note.

Luxury fashion brands, normally the brands setting the trends, have lagged behind when it comes to adopting social media.  It’s understandable.  Many of these brands are based around the idea of exclusivity and social media is quite the opposite of that.  How can a brand be everywhere and exclusive at the same time?

It’s not impossible.  Brands like Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Tiffany and Gucci have a strong online presence – you can purchase online and interact with these brands on Facebook and Twitter.  Being “available” online has not hurt the brands, rather, it gives their customers more convenient ways of shopping – what’s more luxurious than not having to get off your couch to order a $5000 handbag?

I would also suggest that being available online also opens the doors to new generations of customers – customers that are practically born with smart phones in their hands.  Many luxury brands have a very loyal following – why not start appealing to customers when they are young?  Many loyal brand customers start out as aspirational shoppers.  Perhaps she can’t afford the 2.55 but she purchases Le Vernis or sunglasses or earrings.  If you can appeal to that customer when she is young – and get her attention online (where other brands are getting her attention) you may have a loyal customer for life.  In a year she may be buying shoes or saving up for a 2.55 or a tweed jacket.  My point is, if luxury brands are making the move online, then the brands that don’t make the move are going to be left behind.

Chanel has done a nice job with their online presence.  They’ve been a bit slow to act, but when they do, their online presence is well executed.  Chanel Beauté is sold online and Chanel has introduced Chanel News (it’s own blog) Makeup Confidential (a beauty website), a Youtube page and a Facebook page.  Chanel is not on Twitter and I am patiently waiting for the day that I can click the “follow” link.  I just hope they do it soon because the younger set is increasingly far removed from knowing about the history of the brand.  With other brands copying the signature looks of the Chanel brand, if the copycat brands make themselves more available to younger consumers, Chanel may miss out on breeding a new generation of Chanelphiles.

**UPDATE 9.30.11**

-Two readers from Europe pointed out that the Chanel e-commerce is available only in the U.S.

-Chanel has also released an iPhone app in addition to all the other social media listed above.

Similar Posts:

Filed under: Chanel,Chanel Culture,Chanel Media — Tags: , , — La Chanelphile @ 3:28 pm

10 Comments »

1. I agree 100% with this but I just want to point out the fact that only US costumers can shop online at Chanel.com which doesn’t happen with the other luxury brand mentioned (Gucci, Tiffany etc…).
    If a brand doesn’t make itself available pretty much everywhere it’s a big loss either in terms of sales and/or loyalty to the brand, I buy online where I’m accepted because the market has already great competitors for Chanel!

Comment by Marie — September 30, 2011 @ 3:06 am

2. Hello, I’m French, and i will want to know what do you think about that… Here, Chanel do no sell on the internet, it’s hard, i do not have a chanel’s shop around my place..

Love your blog

Fanny

Comment by Fanny — September 30, 2011 @ 6:18 am

3. Hi Marie and Fanny,
    Thank you for the clarification, I’m in the U.S. and I didn’t realize that the e-shop was just for the U.S. market. That’s unfortunate. Perhaps they were testing e-commerce in the U.S. market and hopefully they will expand to other regions.

Comment by La Chanelphile — September 30, 2011 @ 10:07 am

4. Hello Fanny and Chanelphilie,
    The only thing I can tell you is that you need to buy Chanel in selected stores like Sephora.fr (online only for cosmetics products), I wouldn’t buy it online elsewhere unless it’s an official dept. store because you might find fakes!
    I’m impressed by the fact that Chanel, being a french brand itself, doesn’t sell online in its home country!

Thanks for the article indeed, I really loved it because having a youtube channel myself dedicated to beauty I fell kind of involved in this, again, I agree with what was written. Many brands already acknowledged the fact that vloggers/bloggers have huge potential and can definitely increase their business.
    Hopefully Chanel will expand to other countries soon!!! :)

Comment by Marinella — October 4, 2011 @ 12:48 am

5. Ciao Marinella!
    Wow, that’s interesting. Le’ts hope Chanel is working on a global ecommerce site!

What is your blog? I’d love to check it out.
    :) Gabriella (Chanelphile)

Comment by La Chanelphile — October 4, 2011 @ 9:49 am

6. Ciao Gabriella!
    As soon as Chanel will open e-commerce to everyone I’ll talk about in one of my videos!ahah :)
    I have a youtube channel, you can find me here: youtube.com/user/OverThePosh
    My lnk to twitter is on my YT channel, I hope to hear from you soon somewhere and thanks for this lovely chat we had from the beginning!
    Marie

Comment by Marinella — October 5, 2011 @ 1:54 am

7. Marinella!
    I love your eyebrows! I hope one day you can do a video on Chanel e-commerce! :) Gabriella

Comment by La Chanelphile — October 5, 2011 @ 8:50 am

8. Gabriella! :)

Thanks so much, I think they are kind of “big” but I try to keep yjem in place! As soon as Chanel open its edoors I’ll be making a video about it,I hope soon though…<3

Marie

Comment by Marinella — October 6, 2011 @ 4:49 am

9. Chanel needs e-commerce in Europe SOON!!!! Why do the U.S. get everything years before us???

Comment by Julia — February 6, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

10. Hi Julia,
    I don’t know, maybe they are testing out the market? Hopefully it will launch in Europe soon!
    :) Gabriella, La Chanelphile